Ontario’s Regulation for Public Agencies
On January 1, 2012, the Ontario Regulation 397/11: Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plans came into effect. The regulation requires “public agencies, starting in July 1, 2013, to report annually to the Ministry of Energy on their energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and publish the reports on their websites. In addition, starting July 1, 2014, public agencies need to develop a five-year conservation plan and publish the plan on their websites. Plans must be updated every five years beginning in 2019” (Ministry of Energy, 2015).
WCDS’s energy use and GHGs
All of the WCDSB’s energy use and greenhouse gas emissions can be downloaded below. To see the energy usage and GHGs of other Broader Public sector you can visit the Government of Ontario’s webpage.
2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plan
WCDSB’s Energy Conservation and Demand Management (ECDM) Plan includes a summary of WCDSB’s energy consumption, as well as description of previous, current and proposed energy conservation measures. The ECDM also includes a forecast of the expected results of current and proposed measures.
Through a partnership with a solar developer, the WCDSB received an approval from the Ontario Power Authority to install 17 solar photovoltaic (PV) systems through the FIT2 program. The 17 sites include: St. Agnes (100 kW), St. Benedict (325 kW), Canadian Martyrs (120 kW), St. Clement (60 kW), St. David (375 kW), St. Dominic (115 kW), St. Elizabeth (100 kW), Holy Spirit (175 kW), St. John Paul II (145 kW), St. Kateri Tekakwitha (160 kW), St. Luke (200 kW), St. Mary (400 kW), St. Margaret (150 kW), St. Matthew (175 kW), St. Nicholas (180 kW), Resurrection (425 kW), St. Teresa of Calcutta (175 kW). These sites generate a total of 3380 kW of electricity that is being fed to the Ontario electricity grid.
- St. Kateri Tekakwitha Catholic Elementary School
- Holy Spirit Catholic Elementary School
- St. Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Elementary School
- St. John Paul II Catholic Elementary School
- St. Agnes Catholic Elementary School
- St. Clements Catholic Elementary School
- St. Dominic Catholic Elementary School
- St. Elizabeth Catholic Elementary School
- St. Luke Catholic Elementary School
- St. Margaret Catholic Elementary School
- St. Matthew Catholic Elementary School
- St. Nicholas Catholic Elementary School
- St. Benedict Catholic High School
- St. David Catholic High School
- St. Mary Catholic High School
- Resurrection Catholic High School